Breaking the Pomegranate

 

'We say spame to rodi,' said Dimos at Faros taverna yesterday evening, handing me a pomegranate to break for luck with my new home. We'd just finished a dinner of calamari and briam and fried small fish, which are just available again since the season began for fishing with trata nets. I'd learned of this good news after running into Stelios on Friday's Blue Star ferry to Rhodes. (On the way back, a couple of young guys were playing lyra and laouto on the top deck.)

I told Dimos I'd already broken and eaten a pomegranate in my new home on the seafront in Livadia. At first it felt strange living in Livadia after so many years in Megalo Horio. One of the benefits of living here is wandering down to the square mid-morning to see which of the farmers from Megalo Horio or Eristos is selling fresh produce. A couple of days ago I'd bought green guava that flooded the kitchen with their apple-pear aroma, and pomegranates, and olive oil, and fresh olives that I'm soaking in water to prepare them for eating. 

On the way to dinner, walking along the seafront, I had run into people I know with their dog. They asked where I was living now and I told them. It's directly facing the sea, and they weren't the first to warn me that it could get lively there with winds and waves. 'The question is how you'll get out the door in the winter!' laughed Seva. Her husband said, 'Ah, she'll be OK, she's lived in north Karpathos!'

So here I am, with the red fruit on my hand-woven tablecloth that I bought from Anna Lentaki in Avlona a couple of days before leaving Karpathos. I have rented this place for the winter, and then we'll see. The first of the autumn rain came down on Friday night, accompanied by a power cut, and more rain came down this morning as I was waking up, and now the sun is peeking through the clouds on a silvery blue sea. The sounds are the water sweeping up to the beach, and some crows - and now, the deep rumble of the big Blue Star ferry backing into the quay. I'll work for a while, then go for a walk - there have been many beautiful walks over the last two weeks since I arrived. Oh, but first of course I'll break a pomegranate.






5 comments:

  1. You've kind of come full circle, living there. So wonderful to see you and Lisa wandering Tilos again.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww back to Tulips and a mention of Dimos! Hope he is well and Faros. Really hope to get back next year. You've made my morning with this post. Hope you have settled in your new place in Livadia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delighted you are back on Tilos and settling in to your new home; what a beautiful view! It is always a pleasure reading your blogs.
    Enjoy yourself; best wishes to you and Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific setting. First thing in the morning, before breakfast or work, out through the front door and into the water for a long invigorating swim.
    Set you up for the day. Very envious of it.
    Marvellous.
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful - but not so sure about winter!! Have a really happy time in Livadia, and love to you, and of course, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete